February 14, 2012

Flying high . . . . or maybe not

     Panda's class was one of several third grades invited to create paintings to illustrate a story. Panda's illustration of the Mississippi river was selected. She received a free ticket to attend the concert. Since Panda cannot drive, Mama was her chauffeur.

     An exerpt from a press release:  In Stella’s Musical Tour of America, Stella establishes herself as a brave adventurer with an active imagination. From a hot air balloon, in just one day she sees the Mississippi River, Rocky Mountains, Pacific Ocean and finally the Grand Canyon before returning home. Along the way, the audience will hear the music Stella hears in her head as she discovers these amazing features.

     They raffled a free hot air balloon ride. Panda filled out an entry form. But it said you had to be 18 years old to enter so we used my name. On the following Monday I received a call from the Philharmonic office. I assumed they wanted me to collect her artwork. This thought annoyed me.

     However, that was not why they called. I had won the hot air balloon raffle. I might have said, "Oh, no!" on the phone to the nice philharmonic lady when she told me the news (but I hope not). I would rather poke a needle in my eye than go up high in a tiny basket.

     At least I can't say I've never won anything!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Do it! It is an incredible experience. Still remember a ride I took in Ellensburg for an article I did for the paper. I also claimed I'd never 'do a balloon' and it turned out one of the best 'nevers' I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might get brave enough. I'd like to be brave enough. Thank goodness I don't have to decide right now since it's still winter and I know I don't want a winter balloon ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to send Rick up in the balloon, not for me either! Margot would love to go though. Margot was so disappointed that her picture was not chosen for the Philharmonic but now I know of two of her friends pictures who were chosen. What a neat opportunity, especially since the 3rd grade's Philharmonic field trip was canceled due to snow.

    ReplyDelete