December 17, 2011

Countdown to Christmas

     The girls are opening advent calendars to hasten the arrival of Christmas. Several years ago I found reasonably priced advent calendars with little boxes to fill. I spent oodles of time searching for toys small enough to fit into the boxes (less than 2 inches square). This was like looking for needles in the haystack. The new modus operandi is a note in the box (along with candy) saying there is a gift to open.

     I didn't realize how much the girls LOVE the tradition until this year. I didn't get things ready before December 1 and planned to skip it. No way were Panda and Poodaloo* letting that happen.

     After several days of (not so gentle) reminders, I bought five bags of Christmas candy and let them fill a calendar for each other.

     The great thing is: they are happy with this method, too. It makes no difference to their enjoyment of the tradition. How cool is that? Plus, I've finally gotten myself in a holiday frame of mind and starting this morning, there will be notes in the boxes and they will have surprises to open.

     *  Poodaloo has requested to be known by her full nickname from this day forward. She does not care for the diminuitive version (Pooda).

No comments:

Post a Comment