November 15, 2011

Quilt Block Challenge

     I've challenged myself to make a quilt block each day for the next two weeks. Last Saturday I took a class for machine quilting and it lit a fire under me. I found free block patterns on-line and got busy using my fabric stash. I've chosen beginner level blocks that finish at 12" x 12". A few days ago I snagged a 10 1/2 yard chunk of flannel at St. Vincent de Paul for $5.25. It will be a nice backing for this challenge project.

     Here are the first blocks.

Spinning Star
This went together beautifully although it is slightly shy of finished size. I love the design.

Peace and Plenty
I had some technical difficulty understanding the cutting directions. Thus I have a few extra 'parts' lying around the sewing room after finishing this one.
    
     Panda is interested in learning to sew. Since she is off from school, we cruised the pattern books at Joann Fabric. She was ready to buy ten patterns but we exercised caution and left them all at the store.

     This Joann location has an independent sewing machine shop within it. The salesperson showed us two models. One a Singer and the other a Husquvarna-Viking. Several people have recommended Janome brand so I'm also considering it. My current machine is more than 35 years old and a second machine is looking very likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment